Welcome to NextReality
The reality of tomorrow will not be static. We're here to bring you a daily look into the cutting edge innovations poised to merge the impossible worlds of our imagination with real life. We're NextReality.
We're about to take a leap into the future that intends to connect the digital and physical worlds more closely than ever before. The technology of virtual, augmented, and mixed reality is right around the corner and it will change how we work, play, and communicate.
NextReality is where we'll be tracking the latest developments in these fields, getting our hands dirty testing the technology out and working with developers to explore new ways of using it. We've really only seen the very beginning of what this technology can do, and we are all still exploring the possibilities.
We've already gotten started. We've profiled various hardware options, software prototypes coming out of hackathons and from enthusiasts, and looked at the effects these new realities are already having on people around the world. If you want to check out what we've been up to so far, here's a good sample to start with:
- What's the Difference Between Virtual, Augmented & Mixed Reality?
- What's the Difference Between HoloLens, Meta & Magic Leap?
- See What's Inside the HoloLens Development Edition
- Why the HoloLens' Small Screen Makes It Better, Not Worse
- Microsoft's HoloLens Is Going to Transform How We Do Work
- How to Try Out the Microsoft HoloLens (& Other Reality-Altering Headsets) Near You
- How Face Tracking & Augmentation Technology Works
- Strange New Technologies Explore the World of Virtual Taste, Touch & Smell
- How the HoloLens Can Help Stop Hackers Faster Than Ever
- Habit.at Mixes Holographic Fun with Food to Help Kids Eat Healthier
- HoloHear Visually Translates Human Speech into Sign Language
These new realities we're forging in the digital world will inform, shape, and alter the physical world we already know. They can bring the impossible to life and change what we see everywhere we go. As things progress, they may encompass our other senses as well. We're here to cover it all, from the greatest new apps and concept software to how different parts of these evolving technologies work. We'll talk to experts to find out where we're headed next, learn about the risks these new realities bring, and help build this new future as a community. Here are a few things we have planned in the near future:
- VR/AR/MR event coverage like conferences put on by SIGGRAPH and VRLA.
- Deep dives into new hardware when it becomes available, like the Meta 2, to see what they're like, how they work, and what you can expect to experience in various applications.
- Tutorials on how to use these new technologies and their software.
- Profiles of existing software and previews of upcoming apps and games that push these technologies forward.
- Expert voices contributing to many of these discussions, such as how certain things work and what we can expect to see in the future. Video interviews, too!
- Troubleshooting help, as we learn what sorts of user problems exist and need to be solved.
That's a general overview of what's coming, but we're still brainstorming all sorts of things. You can contribute, too! Keep reading for all the ways you can submit your ideas so we can cover what you want to read about.
You can find everything we're doing at https://next.reality.news/. You can also keep up with us on Facebook and Twitter. We'll have great new stuff on a daily basis, so keep an eye out and check back often.
If there's anything you want to learn about in the virtual, augmented, or mixed reality space, let us know. We're excited to explore these new realities with you. Comment on this post with your ideas, and feel free to hit us up on social media as well.
We've got a lot of fun stuff planned, but we want to focus on what you're interested in as well. What do you want to see on this site? What things do you want to learn about? What big questions do you have about these emerging technologies? Stay in touch and comment so we can cover what you think is cool, too.